“Honey, do these jeans make me look fat?” The dreaded question. Unfortunately for many husbands and boyfriends out there, one that pops up at the worst time. And for you women asking, please don’t take the uncomfortable silence that inevitably follows to heart. It’s not that you do, necessarily. It’s just that our poor men are ill equipped to deal with our insecurities. After all, either we’re fishing for a compliment or, more likely, we had our own doubts before we asked. This article shares five top stylist shopping tips that’ll help you feel great about your jeans purchase and your partner happy that you’re happy.
1. Never shop when you need them. Don’t grocery shop when you’re hungry. Well, the same goes with jeans. Frantically trying on half a dozen pair, each falling short of that awesome feeling of finding ‘the ones’ is stressful and can lead to a less than great purchase decision. Jeans aren’t an article to settle for — that’s for socks. Take your time. Plan a few hours just to look and try.
2. Plan your shopping outfit. Wear your most flattering jeans when you shop for new ones. How else will you compare? Why bother buy new ones if they don’t look better than the ones you already have? Don’t forget to wear similar shoes that you’ll want to wear with the new ones.
3. Which styles? While every body is different, and nothing beats actually seeing how a pair fit, keep a few general rules in mind. Color: Darker denim is more slimming than lighter washes. A slightly lighter vertical wash on the thigh can also make them look thinner. Stretch: While generally the curvy girl’s friend, avoid if you want to deemphasize a slightly irregular shape. Stiffer denim helps to keep everything in…except if you’ll be doing a lot of sitting in your jeans — that’ll stretch stiff denim out in the butt (making it look saggy). Leg cut: Boot cut or even slightly flare jeans help to balance out curvy shapes. And honestly, stay away from skinny jeans unless you have long legs.
4. Try, try again. So many styles, so little time. While there are tons of styles available, many of them are more fashion conscious than figure flattering. Try on lots of different styles and designs, not to mention sizes. Go to several stores. Keep trying since you aren’t in a rush (see tip 1). Finding a hundred pair that don’t look good is just as important as finding the ones that do. Just don’t buy until you do.
5. Shop with a trusted friend. An extra set of eyes is very helpful especially when you’re comparing many styles. But make sure she/he knows what you’re looking for and that she/he can be trusted with an unbiased opinion. A good friend will probably think you look good in anything. But that isn’t the question. “Which ones look better, these or those?” will be a lot more helpful to you in your quest. Related to this is asking opinions on your current jeans from trusted friends. Find out whether you can ‘really’ trust your own judgement.
There you have it. Five stylist shopping tips to find those awesome jeans.
Mac lover, photobook designer, photoshop geek, photography enthusiast, marketing strategist, investment advisor, spreadsheet junkie, fitness instructor, lifestyle coach and kettlebell convert – not to mention mother, wife, daughter, sister, friend and jean obsessed Canadian expat, living in Dubai. In a nutshell, that’s me, fighting the battles between right and left brains, obsessive compulsion and attention deficit.